Most Common Pet Poisons


Most Common Pet Poisons Information from our Scarsdale Veterinarians

The majority of pet owners have heard that they should avoid giving their dog or cat chocolate, but did you know that chocolate isn’t the only poisonous substance your pet can accidentally ingest? It is critical for your pet’s health to be aware of the common pet poisons as well as what to do should your pet ingest a toxic substance. Our Scarsdale veterinarians at Central Animal Hospital have created a brief list of the most common pet poisons and how to recognize the symptoms of poisoning.

puppy surrounded by toxic foods like grapes, onions, and chocolate

Toxic Foods

Chocolate tops the list of toxic foods for your dog and cat and it causes more pet poisonings than any other type of food. Dark chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate, especially for dogs and eating just a little over an ounce can cause a 20-pound dog to have seizures. Other toxic foods and symptoms include:

  • Xylitol (sugar substitute)-causes rapid spike in insulin levels
  • Grapes and raisins-vomiting and kidney failure
  • Onions and garlic-fatigue, disorientation, rapid heartbeat, jaundice, vomiting, and listlessness

Household Cleaners & Supplies

The most common poisons in this category include oven cleaners, drain openers and disinfectants. Depending on the degree of concentration, these products can cause chemical burns in the mouth, stomach, and paws. Batteries are also a common household supply that cats and dogs often experience poisoning from. If your pet punctures a battery, the acids can cause burns in the mouth. Symptoms of ingesting household cleaners or batteries may include vomiting, drooling, lack of appetite and rubbing at the mouth.

Rat Poison & Pesticides

Insecticides often contain ingredients, such as organophosphates, pyrethrins, and carbamates, which can be extremely dangerous for pets. When ingested, these poisons work differently on the body, so the type of treatment will differ; therefore it is extremely important to take your pet to your Scarsdale veterinarian immediately if you suspect they have ingested any type of pesticide. Common symptoms of pesticide poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, tremors, respiratory failure, difficulty breathing and/or pale gums.

Contact Central Animal Hospital in Scarsdale Today for Pet Poison Treatment

Prevention is the best method of avoiding poisoning, so it is essential that you keep all toxic substances out of the reach of your pet. If you think your dog or cat has consumed any type of toxic product, contact your Scarsdale veterinarian immediately.

To learn more information about pet poisonings, contact Central Animal Hospital by calling (914) 723-1250.