Puppy and Kitten Wellness in Scarsdale
Puppies and kittens need special care from their veterinarian and from their owners to grow up healthy and strong. As your puppy or kitten's veterinarian in Scarsdale, it's our mission to ensure that your pet gets proper care from a young age. Knowing when to take your pet to the veterinarian, and how to care for your pet at home can help ensure that your pet has what he or she needs to maintain wellness.
Preventative Care for Puppies and Kittens in Scarsdale
Your puppy or kitten should have a first trip to the veterinarian when he or she turns about 6 to 8 weeks old. Pets who experience health problems before that time may need to see the veterinarian early.
As your pet's vet in Scarsdale, we focus on preventative care for puppies and kittens. Preventative care helps your pet avoid illnesses and chronic conditions. The standard preventative care we offer for puppies and kittens include:
- Wellness exams. Wellness exams help us catch medical conditions in their early stages. Our wellness exams include a full physical exam. We may also take samples of your pet's feces and blood. During your pet's wellness exam, we'll also answer questions that you might have about your pet's health, diet, and behavior.
- Vaccinations. We provide core and non-core vaccinations to our pet patients. Puppies and kittens typically get their first vaccinations at their first visit to the vet. All puppies and kittens are given the core vaccines, but not all pets need non-core vaccines. We'll assess your pet's lifestyle and risk factors, and recommend non-core vaccines as needed.
- Dental care. Dental care should start at an early age. Performing dental examinations during the wellness exam helps your pet get used to the process. We recommend that puppy and kitten owners start brushing their pet's teeth early on to help prevent plaque buildup, cavities, periodontal disease and other problems relating to oral hygiene. We will be happy to show you how to care for your pet's teeth and answer all your questions.
- Spaying and neutering. We recommend spaying and neutering young pets to prevent diseases of the reproductive system and to prevent unwanted pet pregnancies.
- Microchipping. We offer microchipping services to help reunite pets with their families in the event that they become separated. We will be happy to discuss this option with you.
Your Role As A New Pet Owner
As a new pet owner, you'll have much to learn about the care and feeding of your new pet. Maintaining good nutrition is an important part of pet care. We recommend that all pet owners feed their new puppies or kittens food formulated for young animals. Providing a safe environment for your pet is also paramount. Puppies and kittens are like young children and tend to chew on or eat things that could endanger their health.
Contact Your Pet's Vet in Scarsdale
Contact your pet's vet in Scarsdale for wellness care today! Call us for an appointment at 914-723-1250.